Abram Interstate Insurance Services, Inc., CMGA

Helping Independent Insurance Agents Since 1996

Does My Roommate Need Renter’s Insurance Too?

Published on May 8, 2013

There are many types of insurance to choose from in the modern era, from interstate insurance to surplus lines insurance to renter’s insurance. If you are new to these types of things – perhaps you are living on your own for the first time – it can be hard to know exactly what you need and what you can live without.


As far as renter’s insurance is concerned, this is a very important type of coverage since you are not fully in control of what happens to your living quarters. If someone else in a different apartment accidentally causes a fire that burns down the whole complex, you could not have done anything at all to prevent it. No matter how safe you are, you are at the mercy of others. The renter’s coverage gives you some security in an uncertain world because you at least know that your items are going to be replaced – the insurance covers just what you own, and not the building itself – if there is a disaster.


One important question to ask is whether you need the coverage alone or whether your roommate should have it as well. The short answer is that everyone needs to be listed on a policy. If your roommate is your wife, you can just have her listed on your policy, and she does not need her own. If your roommate is just a friend who is unrelated to you, though, he or she must have a separate policy. If there is a fire, your policy will only cover what you own, up to a certain amount.


It is important to note that your roommate’s lack of coverage will not impact how much money you get. You are entitled to the same compensation, regardless of what he or she chooses to do. You just need to make sure that your roommate knows that you are not going to pay to replace his or her items after a flood, a fire, or some other disaster. If you are getting a new renter’s insurance policy, talk to your roommate about getting one as well.